LeBron James celebrated the opening of the new I Promise School in his hometown of Akron, Ohio, on Monday, marking the first time he has spoken publicly since leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers to join the Los Angeles Lakers.

The LeBron James Family Foundation partnered with Akron Public Schools to design the school for students in the area who come from difficult circumstances. It will initially open its doors to 240 third- and fourth-grade students, and will add first- and second-grade classes in 2019. The school plans to offer first through eighth-grade classes by 2022.




"I know exactly what these 240 kids are going through," James said in front of the new school. "I know the streets they walk. I know the trials and tribulations that they go through. I know the ups, the downs. I know everything that they dream about. I know all the nightmares that they have because I’ve been there.

"I know exactly what they're going through. They're the reason why this school is here today."

The school will also run longer than a regular school year, starting on July 30 and ending May 17, 2019. School days will also run later in the day, begging classes 9 a.m. and ending at 5 p.m.